Saturday, April 26, 2014


A Heart Wasted

This fragile heart withholds itself -
It never completely surrenders.
The icy fear of rejection
And searing pain is what hinders.

What once was always expanding,
Has become hardened and scarred.
Those abusive years took it's toll -
That perfect beauty now marred.

It didn't happen overnight -
Took half my life to do it.
I wish I could go back in time,
Change my beliefs and redo it.

But choices made can't be undone,
Nor lies I once believed as truth.
The mold has set, the die is cast,
Can only chalk it up to youth.










copyright Linda Whitehead Humbert 4/26/2014
https://www.facebook.com/lwhumbert

2 comments:

  1. This is a touching poem, so heartbreaking in its truth! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy. My first poem of the morning was a little more upbeat, but this one hit hard.

      Delete